Read Across America: March 2, 2010


Every year, the National Educational Association (NEA) celebrates Dr. Suess's birthday with a campaign called Read Across America. For this celebration, the NEA offers many ideas for schools, libraries, and parents to institute fun reading events in local and online communities.

Some of the ideas/ events include:

Send an ecard
Facebook fan page
Send a video to schooltube or youtube
A list of 13 Suess-gestions if you get stuck

I plan to celebrate this activity in my classroom with my students by:

-Reading Dr. Seuss books aloud in class

-Hosting a 50 word children's book challenge (based on the fact that Green Eggs and Ham inculdes only 50 words)

-Having a Seuss quotation as "quote of the week"

-Having a Seuss-original word as "word of the week"

I'm still thinking of other ways to increase awareness about this project, so if you have ideas for me please feel free to send them my way!