Saturday, November 28, 2009

Books for Boys



One of the greatest challenges I face in teaching is finding good reads that male students can get excited about. Every young adult book I read feels like a bit of a search for a good plot, characters, and that extra little je ne sais quoi that will make the read a good read for the guys in my classroom.

Whether this sounds sexist or not, I don't know. When I'm selected reads that are going to be read by the whole class, I know that I need to make sure that the book will appeal to my male readers. In most of my classes, there are more guys than girls. Girls seem to be okay reading a book no matter who the main characters are or the plot. Male students, not so much. I also find that girls are better at supplementing their reading and will read more free reading titles if they're not as interested in our whole class book. It can be a struggle to get my male students into a pattern of keeping a free reading book.

Luckily, I stumbled across a site devoted to guys and what guys read. It's appropriately titled GUYS READ and offers a lot of information about books for guys of all ages, and even offers books for young boys. This site offers a wealth of information and seems like it could be helpful to both male and female teachers. I had a great time looking around this site and plan to use it when I think about purchasing good boy-approved titles this coming year.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I think you wanted my article about reluctant readers, but I don't have an email address for you. Please send your address to mander8813@aol.com.

    Thanks

    Max Elliot Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try looking towards YA fiction set in foreign countries by overseas writers who publish in the USA. Dangerous Days by J. William Turner would be a good starting point. With this book, you get four separate but connected sub-novels inside the one cover

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails